Wednesday, September 5, 2018

#IWSG Anthology: I'll Be The Judge Of That

WE HAVE NEWS!

But first...

It's September's Insecure Writer's Support Group event! Occurring on the first Wednesday of every month, writers post about their insecurities, or share news, and of course support our fellow writers. You can join HERE.

Many thanks to our host, Alex Cavanaugh, and to the many co-hosts that help make this event happen every month. This month's co-hosts are: Toi Thomas, T. Powell Coltrin, M.J. Fifield, and Tara Tyler

This month's optional question is: What publishing path are you considering/did you take, and why?


I chose self-publishing to begin with. It allows your work to get out into the world quicker and of course you have more artistic control over your work. It's also more work because you're in charge of everything from writing and editing, to formatting, book covers and then the dreaded marketing!

HOWEVER, after winning the 2017 IWSG Short Story Anthology Contest (Tick Tock: A Stitch in Crime), and being published by Dancing Lemur Press, I became a hybrid author. I find dabbling in both self-publishing and traditional publishing very appealing--sort of the best of both worlds!

AND speaking of the IWSG Short Story Anthology Contest, guess who's been invited to judge this year's contest?! 

It's ME!

I am so thrilled and honored to be asked. And the company I'll be keeping? Let's just say that I am totally fangirling right now, but I'll try to keep it together lest I make a fool of myself like Lucy Ricardo. 

Check it out!


The 2018 Annual IWSG Anthology Contest

Word count: 3500-6000

Genre: Young Adult Romance

Theme: 
Masquerade

A Masquerade can be a false show or pretense, someone pretending to be someone they aren't. It can be a ball, a fancy dress party, it can be a mask. Open to interpretation.

Submissions accepted: September 5 - November 4, 2018

How to enter: Send your polished, formatted (Double spaced, no page numbers), previously unpublished story to admin @ insecurewriterssupportgroup.com before the deadline passes. Please include your contact details, your social links, and if you are part of the Blogging, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter IWSG group.

Judging: The IWSG admins will create a shortlist of the best stories. The shortlist will then be sent to our official judges. This year, we are honored to have seven incredible judges:


Author Elizabeth S. Craig

Author Elana Johnson

Agent Kelly Van Sant, Red Sofa Literary Agency

Author S. A. Larsen

Write Club founder, D. L. Hammons

Author Kristin Smith

Author and previous anthology winner, Gwen Gardner


Prizes: The winning stories will be edited and published by Freedom Fox Press next year in the IWSG anthology. Authors will receive royalties on books sold, both print and eBook. The top story will have the honor of giving the anthology its title.

Which publishing path have you chosen?

Will you be entering the #IWSG Anthology Contest?

54 comments:

  1. Congrats on being a judge! That's exciting.
    So far I've only been published in an IWSG anthology. Not sure what will happen with my other work, but I do need to finish writing it first before I figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, write it first! Then who knows, the sky's the limit!

      Delete
  2. That's so wonderful you'll be a judge this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that was what I was most afraid of...having all that control and what if I did something wrong!! Ugh. I'm glad to let someone else do all the work when it comes to publishing;-) I'll just write and edit. Glad to see you as a judge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days, though, even with a publisher, there is a certain amount of marketing expected. Thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete
  4. We're honored to have you as one of the judges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on becoming a judge for the anthology! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I can't wait to read the stories. I love YA too!

      Delete
  6. I think being allowed to experience both traditional and self publishing is awesome. I don't like to fit in a box, so being able to do both is freeing.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Entering is SUPER appealing, but I can't get the mental realty to consider the idea fully. I only have about twenty stories ideas that fit with the theme... Anyhow, super coolness! You'll be an AWESOME judge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have your hands full, Crystal, but I hope you enter!

      Delete
  8. That's awesome! Have fun judging. It's a tough thing. Being a hybrid is cool. Makes us sound like cyborgs! *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a different breed of cyborg, for sure LOL!

      Delete
  9. Congrats on becoming an anthology judge! Way to go being a hybrid, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fantastic that they asked you to be a judge! Really looking forward to this anthology when it's published. I love this year's theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm thrilled and I can't wait--I love the theme too :)

      Delete
  11. How good! You are in stellarcompany and I'm sure you'll have a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice. Nothing like an invite to make a person feel welcome. ;-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  13. You'll be an awesome judge! Have fun reading the selected entries!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on being chosen as a judge for the anthology! And I love your progression from self-pub to small house. It's nice to know that your own hard work has been recognized.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on being asked to be a judge!

    Being a hybrid author really is the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hybrid does seem to be the way of future publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think being a hybrid writer takes advantage of the benefits of both paths. Congrats on being a judge.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahaaa... I guess I'm also a hybrid author! But, either way, there is still the dreaded marketing that needs to get done...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! You'll be great!

    I'm indie and luvin' it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love indie too. Welcome back from your hiatus, Melissa!

      Delete
  20. Congratulations on being a judge. What a tough job, but you wouldn't have been chosen if you couldn't handle it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on being a judge! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You'll make a great judge, Gwen. And you're living my dream--I hope to be a hybrid author some day.

    Damyanti at Daily (w)rite

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on being a judge. Should I start bribing you now or later? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an honor to be chosen as a judge. I don't know that I'd be good at that. Especially if it required a lot of reading as I am a rather slow reader.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled about it. I will definitely read through every single one even if I have to stay up all night to get it done. I'm completely dedicated.

      Delete
  25. Wahoo congrats on being a Judge. Happy Belated IWSG Day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on being chosen as a judge! And for all the writing creds too. ;-)
    Anne from annehiga.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. How exciting that you get to be one of the judges for this anthology! Such an honor, for sure. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You left a comment! I love comments.