Wednesday, June 2, 2021

#IWSG: Things Are Getting Drafty

 


It's Insecure Writer's Support Group Day! The first Wednesday of every month we blog about our thoughts and fears on writing, and offer encouragement to those who are struggling (hint: we all struggle). If you'd like to join, go HERE

Many thanks to our founder and host, Alex Cavanaugh, and this month's rotation of co-hosts: J Lenni Dorner, Sarah Foster, Natalie Aguirre, Lee Lowery, and Rachna Chhabria!

This month's optional question is: For how long do you shelve your first draft, before reading it and re-drafting? Is this dependent on your writing experience and the number of stories/books under your belt?

Good question. I don't have a set amount of time between first and second drafts, but I have noticed that the longer it sits, the more errors/typos/plot issues become apparent. A good month or two gives plenty of distance. It helps to put the second draft aside to stew for a while as well. For me, this doesn't change with experience. 

I actually looked this phenomenon up because inquiring minds want to know *winks*. It's called "change blindness":

The New York Times defined it as “the frequent inability of our visual system to detect alterations to something staring us straight in the face." ~BigThink.com

Anyway, it doesn't affect just writers, it affects everyone. 

See? We're not so different after all! 

How long do you shelve your first draft? 

Does your "change blindness" get better with experience? 

23 comments:

  1. It's true that you can spot errors easier when you give a manuscript a rest. And yes, we can't always see things right in front of our faces. That's SO true for me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the errors are absolutely hilarious too! LOL.

      Delete
  2. That's a perfect way to describe why writers make mistakes. Even reading out loud doesn't always catch the errors, even obvious one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep meaning to read out loud but I forget to do it. I really want to try it ;)

      Delete
    2. It really does work! I’ve caught so many awkward sentences that way.

      Delete
    3. That's it! I'm going to do it!

      Delete
  3. All right - you sent me on a research journey, and I love that!
    Change Blindness is super fascinating. But, it can be an obstacle in our writing. We need "fresh" eyes, not to detect changes, but to detect what needs to be changed, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "New eyes" is so helpful--you wouldn't believe some of the things I catch after a few weeks "rest". LOL.

      Delete
  4. I did not know there was a name for it. Cool, I learned something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stepping away from a manuscript for a while can definitely help you see the errors more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s not so much the changes I’m looking for, but what needs changing! In the end, I will never really spot my own typos, and have taken to having at least two people read the final draft to reduce them. But to read the MS with fresh eyes that see the good and the bad requires me at least 1-2 months. Sometimes years, but I think that experience has gotten me beyond that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you--at least a month or two to come back with fresh eyes!

      Delete
  7. I'm with you. Letting things chill for a while helps weed out the flaws easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right! How do they get by us?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gwen, I think a month is perfect between the first draft and the start of revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually also wait a month or two before I look at a story again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The XOSignals app backs the trade signals with sound technical analysis. With a successful track record of four years, the company has already garnered a user base of over 1 million traders. As mentioned above, there can be manual and automated signal providers. Manual signal providers can be professional and/or seasoned traders, market analysts and strategy providers. They generate trading signals based on their trading knowledge, experience, fundamental and/or technical analysis skill or their developed strategy. On the other hand, automated signal providers are computer software that are coded to generate trading instructions when certain set parameters or conditions are met in the market. There are a few that may be designed to implement fundamental analysis techniques, such as tracking economic news releases and market sentiment.

    rofitability of stock market trading is directly related to the prediction of trading signals. Here, we will discuss about some basic to advanced and popular technical analysis to build trading signals. A long list of technical indicators are available covering principal domains such as trend, momentum, volume, volatility, and support and resistance. Forex signals are popular withbeginner traders to improve their success rate and enrich their trading experience.

    Firstly, you can opt for its free plan - which provides 3 signals per week. This allows you to get to grips with the platform before making a longer-term commitment. There is no limit to the number of pairs that an automated algorithm can analyze concurrently.

    For example, the ability to withstand losses or to adhere to a particular trading program in spite of trading losses are material points which can also adversely affect actual trading results. Elliott Wave Forecast is a leading technical analysis firm helping traders around the world make smarter trading decisions. Daily coverage of Stocks, ETFs, Indices, Forex, Commodities, Bonds & Cryptocurrencies. https://www.reviewengin.com/trade-command-center-review/

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and many of these folks have so much more patience than I do. I reread every chapter two or three times a day for weeks, and I still miss things.

    I love the title of this post, "Things are getting drafty."

    ReplyDelete