Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Jules' Fav Ghost Stories!

I'm so happy to have Julie Flanders here today sharing her favorite ghost stories - because you know how much I love my ghosties.
 
So, heeeere's Julie!
Source: Wikimedia Commons

Favorite Ghost Stories

I’ve been having a great time sharing ghost stories for the past few months as I counted down the days until the release of my novel The Ghosts of Aquinnah, so I thought it would be fun to share a few of my favorite ghost stories (either movies or books) here at Gwen’s today. Thank you for hosting me, Gwen!

I have to include a quick note that Gwen’s Givin’ Up the Ghost definitely has a spot on this list. I loved it and look forward to reading her sequel soon!

Here are five other favorites:

Ghost Story by Peter Straub
I haven’t read this in years but it terrified me way back when!

1408
Had me at John Cusack :D

A Christmas Carol
Probably nothing I can say about this that hasn’t already been said a million times

The Sixth Sense
I saw this back when it first came out and no, I didn’t see the twist coming at all.

The Shining
To this day, I am scared to death of The Overlook Hotel.

Are you a fan of ghost stories? If so, what are your favorites?

Thank you again, Gwen!


Blurb

A brilliant flash of light transcends through time.

Another freezes a cloaked figure within a frame of salty mist as waves crash against a rocky shore. Her harrowing expression shadows the beacon to a pinprick.

By the next blaze, she is gone. Only the lighthouse remains.

Hannah’s eyes blink in step with each heartbeat. Images of her deceased parents and Martha’s Vineyard explode like firecrackers inside her mind.

She shakes her head.

For weeks this eerie woman dressed in nineteenth century garb has been haunting my webcam, but tonight she stared into my soul.

Why? ...

Who is she? ...

Casting aside months of research on historic lighthouses, Hannah drives to the coast and boards a ferry.

What is the strange connection she has to this mysterious woman suspended in time?

Hannah finds out.

But, it’s not at all what she expects...

Hannah unravels a century old murder.


Buy The Ghosts of Aquinnah:  Amazon ~ Barnes & Noble ~ Smashwords ~ Ink Smith Store

Author Bio:

Julie Flanders is a novelist and freelance writer in Cincinnati, Ohio. She has a life-long love affair with the ocean and has spent more summer vacations than she can count on the island of Martha’s Vineyard. When not writing, Julie can be found playing with her pets, reading, cheering on her favorite sports teams, and watching too much television. The Ghosts of Aquinnah is Julie’s second novel. Her debut novel Polar Night was released in February, 2013 by Ink Smith Publishing.

Find Julie at:


17 comments:

  1. Good taste in ghost movies. Poltergeist is one I like. Really dig The Devil's Backbone, and early del Toro film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AN early del Toro, not AND. Stupid typo...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again for having me here, Gwen!! And Alex, I can't believe I forgot Poltergeist! I'm still scared of that one LOL. I don't know about Devil's Backbone, will have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like ghost stories. Would love to write one chilling one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Rachna, if you do I know I'd love to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Changeling is an old film, but it still gives me the chills when I watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Diane, oh, I've never seen that but have heard it's really scary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Alex -- "The Poltergeist" is great. My other faves are "The Haunting," "Silent Hill," and "The Woman in Black," which was really scary! Fun post, Julie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a wimp when it comes to reading or viewing ghost stories, but then . . . I read them now and then, and have a bit of fun, and then get the chills, and then . . .well, you get the idea.
    Congrats and best wishes on Ghosts of Aquinnah . . .I'm waiting for a bright, sunshiny day that feels very unghostish to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't see the twist coming at all in The Sixth Sense. Great flick

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Lexa, I never saw The Woman in Black movie, but I saw the play and LOVED it! Should have added that to my list.

    @Tyrean, thanks so much!

    @TB, I know, I was floored by it. But then it seemed lots of people were saying it was obvious so I thought maybe I was alone in that LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1408 was a great movie. Scared the crap out of me. And I didn't see the end coming in The Sixth Sense, either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Sixth Sense helped to inspire my own writing . . . it's when I first learned to never underestimate the power of the holy crap moment! It may drive people crazy, but we remember those epic moments, and those twists and turns stick with us more than the traditional happy ending. Oh, and as an English teacher, I'm very much a fan of Dickens's Christmas Carol :-) Congrats again on all your success!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good ghostly grief, Gwen and Julie. Superb choices, Julie. I found out the Jacob Marley was not a Reggae singer :)

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love ghost stories, but A Christmas Carol is the only one I truly know on this list. (Um...oops? XD)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Gwen,,

    LOVE JULIE and her new book!

    Happy Holidays!!! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and all the best for 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow great article i learned alot it was really intersting. please check out some cool retail sites our company has been working on for online shopping
    upcube
    Dailytechstudios
    upcubestore
    Dailytechcloud
    upcubeinc
    Jetcube
    Jetstripe

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You left a comment! I love comments.