Tuesday, January 3, 2023

#IWSG: 2023 Word of the Year


It's the first posting of the year for Insecure Writer's Support Group. It you'd like to join, go HERE. 

Thanks to our host, Alex Cavanaugh, and this month's co-hosts for keeping this event ongoing: Jemima Pett, Debs Carey, Kim Lajevardi, Sarah Foster, Natalie Aguirre, and T. Powell Coltrin!

January 4 optional question - Do you have a word of the year? Is there one word that sums up what you need to work on or change in the coming year? For instance, in 2021 my word of the year was Finish. I was determined to finish my first draft by the end of the year. In 2022, my word of the year is Ease. I want to get my process, systems, finances, and routines where life flows with ease and less chaos. What is your word for 2023? Why?

I was texting with a friend on New Year's Day and she asked me about my "word" and shared that her word for 2023 is "release". I replied that that had been my word for the last fifteen years and that I was ready to let it go. *groans at my own joke*

Anyhoo, upon further thought, I chose the word "patience". Until recently I would have said that I am a very patient person. And I am...or I was. But I've found that age-related issues have provided me with new ways to test my patience in a different way. So thank you for that, Universe! *shakes fist*

I'm glad my friend prompted me to choose a word for 2023. I can use it as a way to be more mindful about being patient. 


Did you choose a word this year?

If so, please share! 

Happy New Year, everyone!
 

19 comments:

  1. I'd never thought of picking a word for the year, but I like the idea of doing it. It sounds like patience is a great word for you this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The word is a great reminder--I'm already reminding myself every day using my word.

      Delete
  2. Age-related issues can test one's patience. Age can also teach patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and the only thing you can do is go with it LOL.

      Delete
    2. I tried to email you about co-hosting the IWSG in February, but your email bounced. Do you have a new one?

      Delete
    3. Hi Alex, I messaged you through Twitter :)

      Delete
  3. Darn that universe! LOL I confess, I have never been a patient person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhh! If the Universe hears that you're doomed! LOL.

      Delete
  4. Age-related issues can test anyone's patience. Wishing you a very Happy New Year and good health!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your word "onward" is an awesome word as well. I could have chosen it LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the joke... I get it. Patience is beautiful. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patience is something I've struggled with personal. It's a hard one for me to adapt. Something I need to work on as well. Wishing you well in 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already reminding myself several times per day to be more patient! It's working!

      Delete
  8. I’ve never had a ‘word of the year’.
    But I believe in perseverance. So maybe that will be my ongoing word for many, many years.
    All the best for 2023, Gwen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patience is a good word for the year :-)

    Ronel visiting for IWSG day An Author’s Goals for 2023

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very patient. Until I am not. I go from patient to throwing things, but it only happens every decade or so...

    ReplyDelete