Monday, April 22, 2013

A-Z: Shadows are some Shady People

A - Z Challenge 2013:
The Paranormal Case Files of Indigo Eady
 
 
Hey bloggers! I’m Indigo Eady and I play the leading role in Givin’ Up The Ghost, A Guilty Ghost Surprised and Second Death, written by Gwen Gardner.  I've had some pretty interesting paranormal experiences, to say the least. I mean, just look at those titles!
So I’ve been asked by Gwen to host and share some of my paranormal case files for the A-Z Challenge.
I’m always happy to help Gwen out. Right now I’m trying to get on her good side so she’ll ease up on the clumsy angle of my character. And maybe she’ll even give me a little more confidence, especially around boys. Oh, and I’d totally love it if she made my bubble butt just a little bit smaller. So—you know—if you enjoy my case files, maybe you could put in a good word for me…
********************
 
 
S is for Shadow People.
 
Shadow People are a sub-category of demon, therefore they can’t be trusted. Yeah, shadows are some pretty shady people.

Demons morphed from fallen angels. But the fall was so far from grace that there is nothing of the angel left in their evolution. And since demons are descended from angels, and angels were never human, the term Shadow People is a bit of a misnomer. But they are so named because they appear in human form as shadows.
For the most part, Shadow People are harmless, but as tricksters, sometimes they go too far. They can be easily led, which can be extremely dangerous. I suspect they lured us out into the cemetery where the orbs waited for us:
 

We barreled after the shadow girl through a side door and into the misty black night. We had blundered deep into the cemetery before I realized it. The tombstones became larger and more elaborate the deeper we went. I slowed to a walk when I lost sight of the girl, my chest heaving, only partly due to running.
Finding myself in ‘Gertrude’s Garden’ came as a bit of a shock. I knew we’d end up here eventually, but I thought I’d have time to prepare myself somehow. But here I was, massively unprepared for the thoughts bombarding me. Like, could I be close to my father’s grave and would it be completely wrong to pass it by without even a glance? But I had two rules in my new life that I had no intention of breaking: don’t unpack and don’t visit dad’s grave. I had my reasons.
I shook myself mentally—plenty of time later to dwell on my nonsensical hang-ups.
“Where’d she go?” Badger turned three sixty trying to catch a glimpse of the shadow.
“I dunno.” Simon was bent over, palms leaning on his knees as he caught his breath.
“She disappeared somewhere around here.” I shivered as we continued slowly up the path. The further we walked, the colder it got.
Franny, Drew and Miss Cornerstone ventured off the path, circling headstones and drifting through tombstones and searching mausoleums for the elusive shadow.
Up ahead, tiny orbs of light hovered and swirled.
***
Most folks have seen shadow people out of the corner of their eyes. Have you ever seen one?

________________
A - Z Related Links:

Creepy Cotillion


22 comments:

  1. Cool excerpt! Have the book on my Kindle, of course. It's waiting its turn to be read.

    Tweeted and shared.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't say I've seen one. Your world building is very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name "shadow people." So that's what happens each time I see movement out of the corner of my eye...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What really fascinates me in these posts, Gwen, is your imagination and ability to give it words and form!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HeHeHe. Thanks Julie, I really enjoy world building.

      Delete
  5. Haven't seen one.
    They might want to stay away from those orbs though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they definitely should stay away from the orbs!

      Delete
  6. I can't say that I've ever seen one before. This is a cool post!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss Gao. Shadow People are very elusive, but you might see one out the corner of your eye sometimes.

      Delete
  7. No and don't want to see one. Shadow People is less creepy than Shadow Angel. Beware of EVERYTHING in that cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shadow Angel Cemetery? *shivers* That does sound scary...

      Delete
  8. Love the name Shadow People. It's creepy just to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try seeing them in real life!

      Delete
  9. Very cool. I love this idea. I am sure I have seen them...just before it gets too dark. ;)

    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side and The Witch
    Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword
    The Freedom of Nonbelief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it happens a lot at twilight. I wonder why?

      Delete
  10. Crap! I saw a Shadow Person out of the corner of my eye 10 minutes ago! No joke!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, really? Are you being followed?

      Delete
  11. Chilling. I wouldn't want to bump into shadow people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These shadow people were really kind of creepy, but I think they were being manipulated by someone else :(

      Delete

Yay! You left a comment! I love comments.